It all started with a walk around the corner of my house when I spotted this. A small piece of chicken wire. Then with the chicken wire in hand I spotted this. Another ruined store bought fake wasp nest.
I love these fake wasp nests as they deter the wasps from building new nests in the spring around your house. Trouble is they just do not hold up in the wind. I pay $20.00 for 2 and they have to be replaced several times over the wasp building season. Plus you need at least 4. One for each house corner and 2 around the shed. It gets kinda pricey. So I had the brilliant idea to make my own.
I started by shaping the chicken wire into a wasp nest shape and added wire to the top where it would hang. Make sure you wear gloves that stuff is brutal and you will poke yourself many times. Next step was cutting up strips of fabric to cover the chicken wire. It is the same procedure as paper mache, but I am using fabric and white glue. I am hoping this will make it durable.
I used a ratio of 3 parts glue to one part water in a large bowl. I then dropped some of the fabric strips in the bowl. Then one by one squeezed the excess glue off the strips and applied it to the chicken wire form. I had to do this in two stages as the bottom half fell off while it was hanging to dry. I worked with it while it was in a pot to hold it sturdy and not roll around.
Next I cut more fabric strips but using white cotton as the second layer so it would be easier to paint. The second layer goes on easier as it is now adhering to the first layer of fabric as opposed to the chicken wire.
I got a little fancy on this second layer and if you want to see how that was done just pop over to my blog for the full instructions. Next it was time to paint. I used grey primer spray paint as it was a lighter shade of grey than I could find in the regular canned spray paint. Then I added more detail by dry brushing on some acrylic craft paint.
After this step was done I painted on a final coat of the watered down white glue and finished off with 3 coats of exterior matte spray sealer.
This was quite a bit of work but it was fun work and I was able to incorporate some of my crafting abilities so it did not seem like work to me. Now I have to go make some more. I have a whole winter to make these to be ready for the spring. Lets hope it fools the wasps!